Sunday, February 3, 2013

ChinaTown 2012

 I'll be honest, as a Singaporean I've never really properly set foot in Chinatown and glance around. This post has been due for ages now since February I know. Chinese New Year was approaching and Matthew wanted to see what it was like down in Singapore's little China Town before he went back. He had to go back on the first day of Chinese New Year. Yea sucked for all of us but at least we had a little taste of it before we retired home
 I love the shophouses because they are such a huge part of Singapore's development in architecture and cultural wise. It's good to see that they kinda retained the facades of these whole row of shophouses.
 Truth be told I was rather reluctant to go because I hate crowds and I thought that these streets of chinatown would actually be filled with tourists and everyone else squeezing their way through the pavements. But it wasn't at all and we bought a lot of goodies to bring back to England to my in- laws.
Somehow the overwhelming colour of red didn't immediately annoy me. Red or hues of red is now one of my staples in my wardrobe. Just because it's awesome.
Chinatown kinda brings me back to my long abandoned Chinese heritage. What Chinese heritage right?
This was the second time I've been to Chinatown. In my entire life I've only stepped into this overtly Chinese district twice.
Gorgeous place, I wish I could be arsed and have the time to explore the uncharted parts of Singapore.